THE HISTORY OF THE MAGNESITE MINE...
The village of Grochowa is situated in the western part of Zabkowice District, in Bardo Commune, in Dolnoslaskie Province. It is a very old Polish village.
It was first mentioned in 1155 (information in the Bull of the Pope Hadrian IV) and then in 1210 (Silesian Diplomatic Code, No142, dated 01.22.1210) and in 1260 (the village of Grochowa as remuneration of the Kamieniec Monastery).
Magnesite deposits were discovered in the middle of the 19th century.
In 1862 H.BRUCK company began industrial exploitation of the deposits.
In the 80's of the 19th century the company began to calcinate the magnesite in shaft furnaces at temperature of about 800°C.
An interesting fact from the 80's of the 19th century was using magnesite for manufacturing soda water, which was discovered in those times.
In 1907 a new mine called "Konstanty" was opened, and then, in 1912 - "Szczęść Boże". The two mines created the base for the present company. .
After II World War all mines and magnesite processing factories in Grochowa were taken over by Zjednoczenie Przemysłu Materiałów Ogniotrwałych (state owned company) with the seat in Gliwice.
In February 1946 "Magnesite Mine and Processing Factory" was set up in Grochowa. In the first year 3,500 tons of raw magnesite was mined.
The post-war history
02.1946 "Magnesite Mine and Processing Factory" was set up in Grochowa.
06.1946 The mine "Konstanty" and the processing factory were re-opened.
| 1948 The mine "Szczęść Boże" was re-opened.
1956 Lower Silesian Works of Refractories in
The mine "Szczęść Boże" was closed down.
1958 Incorporation to "Świdnickie Works of
1959 The underground mine "Konstanty" was
replaced by the strip mine.
1994 Magnezyty "Grochów" - company wholly
owned by the State Treasury
1996 Magnezyty "Grochów" Sp. z o.o. (Ltd.)
2004 MAGNEZYTY "GROCHÓW" S.A. (Inc.).